Saturday, November 27, 2004

Retro Love

If there's one thing in life I treasure it's my game boy advance, it's been all over the world with me and such a fab little companion. I love video games, of that there is no mistake!

It gives me a buzz that they are still releasing oldies for this little piece of techno wizardry, games we love and treasure from our past years. There's just something about the old games, the simplicity, the simple game play but mostly that nostalgia kick!

I remember being hunched over a rubber keyed ZX Spectrum astounded by the graphics and sound, after the black and white ZX81 it seemed a miracle. I'd play games for hours, huddled in the box room of our house with 80's music playing on the tape player after the game tape had loaded in. When I hear those tunes now it takes me back to the old games I once played.

There were other exciting machines as well, the Commodore vic2o and 64, Amstrad, Dragon 32 and the Atari Vcs 2600 console that made me drool too!

Then came the Amiga, it seemed like the rolls royce of computers, disk drives, fancy colours and a mouse! The games just got better and more involved as computers became more versatile. Around this time we were hit with a wave of consoles, Sega and Nintendo battled for school boys hard earned pocket money and of course kids didn't have to worry about computer skills.

Early pc's appeared but were prohibitive in price and not likely to take over but they did of course but that gap before they became affordable saw consoles flourish.

Now we have pc's to thank for keeping retro games alive in the form of emulated roms or remakes and then coming back to my begining there's the good old gameboy with retro titles such as speedball, manic miner and wings, not to mention collections of old console faves.

Awww I'm all glowing now, nostalgia feels so good.

If you are sad like me and collect old retro games and consoles check out the link below to a site I use regularly, a bit pricey but often worth it. There's also a couple of links to sites in Hong Kong that sell cheap retro games and consoles.

www.telegames.co.uk
www.play-asia.com
www.liksang.com


No comments: