Monday, November 08, 2004

All the power in the world........

There's a quote from a film that say's 'All the power in the world resides in the eyes my friend'.

I guess it was that quote that made me reflect this past weekend, the reason behind it was that someone who I'm very close to had recently had a scare about her eye sight. Fortunately she's ok after a check up at the opticians and hospital. In the past I've had eye problems too, so it seemed to make her plight even more sensitive and acute for me, speaking to her on the phone really brought things home to me. After we'd spoke I sort of felt I hadn't been much good to her at all, in fact I'd just quoted serious stuff to her or recollections about my own problems, maybe I just compounded things for her? I think I was trying to convey the message that technology and treatment are better today than when I was treated but I felt it came across muddled. It was a difficult situation to use counselling techniques in - yet was it? I remember telling her that boxers get her condition because of blows to the head, to make a point that she probably didn't have what she thought she had. I've got to say I can truly empathise with that person, I've been there, I know the fears, the pain - I know how precious eye sight is, I also know what a precious person she is too and I just know she'll be ok.

Did you get the film quote? It was the bad guy from the film 'The Crow'

No comments: