Saturday, November 27, 2004

Going underground

Why does our transport system suck so much?

Say over my last 15 visit's to London I've been let down by the train service about 5 times, that's a 3rd !

It's the usual excuses, cancelled trains, break downs and the general sloppy excuses you get. Then you get to London and have to gamble on the lottery that is the underground. The announcements always tell you that works are going on to improve services yet I see no evidence of this. The London underground is hot, stuffy, over crowded old fashioned but a fab place for people watching.

When I was in Hong Kong I used the Metro there, such a contrast to our dilapidated system. It's so high tech, spacious to avoid crowding and user friendly. You can by an 'Octopus' card that you use on all train services and buses until the credit runs out, then you just top it up again with how much you want. You swipe the card over a sensor and voila, you travel. You can also use the card in McDonald's and many other outlets.

During my time in Thailand I used motorbike taxi's, basically you raise your hand at the roadside and someone stops in a jiffy, ok it's risky but its quick and its cheap.

I remember using a taxi in China and we traveled 40 or so miles for £2, the taxi driver hangs around for you like a personal assistant and is a font of knowledge on the local area, you want it - he can get it or get you there.

All the taxi drivers want to do over here is rip you off or take you the long route with their foot down.

Anyway, moan over.

No comments: