Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Bikes & Boats

Bikes

It's over, 'The long way around' has finished and Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman have ended their epic trip around the world, as shown on Sky One, Monday 9pm. It's been a really fantastic tour de force of television and ended on a fitting emotional high note. My only critiscism was that Alaska, Canada and America were all covered in the last episode! They'd just spent the last few weeks struggling through Mongolia and Siberia only to end with a rushed finish in the States when they apparently had plenty of days left. Surely Alaska through to New York was eventful? Complaints aside it was really good to watch, compelling at times. Well done boys!

On a final note, Alaska looked amazing but surely a state of that size would want to be a country in it's own right !?

I've always wanted to travel in a truck in the States from New York to LA, stopping at trucker diners and bars and sampling some real culture and people, forget touristy places - they aren't for me.

Boats

My dad has just returned from the Humber estuary with his friend Kim, they've had a 10 day adventure comprising of force 7 gales, engine failure, sweeping tidal currents and a near collision with a ferry. After catching some fish they later lost their tackle in the gale so headed home though not without incident. They stopped off en route at a few places, my dad told me how grim that Grimsby really is and that there is nothing to be gained in Gainsborough!

I have been to Gainsborough myself and it makes my home town of Mansfield look like Las Vegas! There is just nothing at Gainsborough, the nothingness eats you up, it's devoid of life and it almost seems surreal in the fact all the buildings look grey, drab and without feature.

No comments: