Friday, December 03, 2004

Wandering therapist

Huggy Bear a.k.a Antonio Fargas has left the jungle, shame as I quite liked the guy. Having been voted out I presume that the majority of the British populace began to see him as boring or thought he was the stereotypical American. Vic Reeves termed Huggy as a 'wandering therapist' which I thought was very apt but for me Huggy was restrained, chilled and retained dignity - he was far from how the Brits portray our yank friends these days.

Maybe people expected Huggy to be like his character on Starsky and Hutch but he played himself, he had wise words of encouragement for the younger members, ironically some of them resented it and thought they knew better. On leaving the show he looked liked a wandering shamanic wise man, a traveller, a gypsy and lastly very cool.

On leaving Huggy tipped Janet Street-Porter to win and I hope he's right, she was once the self styled guru of Brit 'Youff' Tv and to be honest I like her attitude. It's one of 'I take no crap' combined with caring and compassion. Some may find her overbearing at times but she certainly is an icon for women of her generation and indeed of mine! Janet cooks for the camp and fetches fire wood whilst Sophie Anderton who should be an energetic 26 year old sits around stroking her own ego and preening herself.

I hope Janet wins too but I suspect the 'Youff' of today will see to it she won't, it's up to the class of the 80's when she was at her presenting heights to get behind her.

Vote Janet Street-Porter!

No comments: