Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Impish

I woke startled by the alarm, it was time to wake for college but giving into temptation I set the alarm to snooze mode. Drifting back into a comfortable sleep I began to dream, the dark edges faded and I emerged into my dreamscape were the sub conscious surfaces to become reality. Like most dreams it was a bit of a jig-saw in areas, mine being vague at the beginning, I was in my dad’s home town, there had been a family argument of sorts, though not between myself and dad. I found myself meandering down some country lane on a balmy summer early evening. As the sun dipped on the horizon I stumbled upon a village of narrow streets leading into lawned greens. Deciding I needed to rest and clear my head I looked for a pub where I could sit outside and soak up the days last remaining rays of sun. As I turned a corner people gathered in bizarre costumes that can only be described as rocky horror show meets gothic ballroom complete with masques. On entering a nearby bar I ordered a drink and turned to ask a stranger what was happening. Turning to answer my question I could see she was of similar height to me sporting short black pixie style hair and a smile that made me melt. She seemed fun and excited by the surrounding events and told me it was an event that happened at this village on occasion and she’d come to see it for herself.

It seemed the bizarre event was a procession around the village pubs open to anyone and at each pub there was a simple task to complete, a drink to be had and then you moved on to the next. Off we went, me and the mystery girl eagerly following the crowd, curious grins on our inquisitive faces. The village itself seemed lovely, full of flowers and bright colours, odd shaped and surreal buildings – it seemed like something taken from Alice in Wonderland. The tasks we had to do were simple, enter through odd shaped doors, drink a particular drink but what struck me was how my feelings were growing for my impish pixie companion with charcoal hair and a sardonic smile. She was adorned in jeans and hiking boots and a plain walking type of jacket but most noticeable was her radiant smile and enchanting eyes, eyes that were slowly drawing me in. I wanted to ask her if she was involved with anyone but I kept restrained and enjoyed the moment soaking up the evening’s atmosphere and merry making in the village pageant. Every bar was full of friendly faces, outrageous costumes and characters and it wasn’t long before I began to feel intoxicated, it seemed my impish friend was fast becoming the same as we giggled and laughed in the setting sun.

As we went to leave bar we were currently in our task was to crawl through a large cat flap type of thing out of a rear door, she slipped through with ease but I became stuck much to her amusement. Then she began to slip away beckoning me like a satyr playing its pan pipes beckons forest creatures, she danced she laughed, she sang, she touched my heart and filled it with wild desire but I was stuck. I reached out to her, begged her to grab my arm and then suddenly my alarm rang shattering the dream and returning me back to my own world. My eyes blurring I scoped the time and came to my senses as I realised it was time to rise for college.

I grinned as I eased out of bed, my impish friends smile was still etched in my mind.

No comments: