Sunday, August 14, 2005

Real Pubs No.1


I love pubs, they are a fine institution, plain and simple. The thing is I like real pubs with real people not these plastic places that grace the high streets these days. So I’ve decided on a new regular feature on the hobbits journal

Drum roll ....

Yes its real pubs, a new occasional spot were I review a real rough arse dive or pub with real character and charm. It’s fair to say that most pubs from south of the holy river Trent won’t be included as the south has shandy drinkers and fancy pant wine bars (a kicking will result from this I’m sure!)

Anyway my first review pub is the Vine Hotel in Newark, located on Barnby Gate just out of the town centre. I first went into the Vine a few weeks ago with my dad, he lives nearby and what a gem of a pub we found. As we walked in a smile appeared on my face as I was greeted by the theme tune to the ‘A-team’ which was followed by the avengers music and then star trek! I looked at my dad and we shrugged and settle back onto the sparse wooden seating with two glasses of Warsteiner lager. Looking about the L shaped pub I noticed chalkboards above the bar with anecdotes on, most likely written by the regulars. Then of course there is the ‘regulars’ and what a bunch of real people they were, toothless ladies, burly tradesmen and old guys who will probably depart with sage wisdom if you talk to them. Though the language in the tap room area is sometimes flowery the locals seem a friendly accepting bunch of mixed ages. The Vine is a pub for the ordinary bloke, somewhere to chill after a hard day at work and banter with the locals, the beer is excellent and natives are friendly if perhaps not to be crossed.

Ratings (out of 10)

Beer – (8) A good choice of beers including the refreshing Warsteiner

Chance of a beating - (7) Locals are friendly but look like they have bite!

Interior – (5) Sparse but functional tap room, just as it should be, though there is a lounge area to the rear.

Facilities – (8) A free pool table and eclectic mix of music, some no frills food available to the taste of the working man, forget fancy stuff.

For more info check the Newark camra website.

http://www.newarkcamra.org.uk/bgp/default.htm

No comments: