Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Marv-ellous


Last Monday the kindly postman delivered the amazing Sin City on dvd, before it had hit the floor it was playing! Since then I’ve watched it probably around 8 times including taking it around to friends and forcing them to watch it. This film has really blown me away, especially the story within the film based on Frank Millers book called ‘The hard goodbye’. This short story features Mickey Rourke playing Marv, a rough-and-tumble loser come bruiser. Marv gets lucky one night and ends up bedding a female goddess called Goldie played by the lovely Jaime King. Not being blessed with a comely appearance Marv thinks his luck has finally changed when Goldie falls into his arms, unfortunately things go wrong from that point onwards. I won’t detail anymore of what happens to Marv so as not to spoil it but the story is nice and simple and perhaps a little sad. Mickey Rourke acts out of his skin, I’ve read the comic book story and Rourke is so like Marv it’s uncanny. There’s a lot in Marv’s segment of the film I identify with, both from my own personal perspective and the male ego one.

Marv’s story aside, Sin City is a brooding noir ballet of bullets and scantily clad broads, in short, Sin City is my top film of the moment, I could even be bold and make a sweeping statement and say of all time. Sin city is a comic book pumped with steroids and unleashed onto the big screen with a cast of film gods and angels. It’s lurid, its sublime, its sardonic and perverse – a collection of class vignette’s where the rain always falls and the sun never rises. Sin City is a place where the characters are more crooked than the alleyways and the dame’s are dangerous, it’s a city of escapism, it’s a movie triumph. Mr Rodriguez I salute you. Did I gush enough?

Anyway I’m going shopping to Asda after work so I gotta back to reality and do my grocery list.

1 comment:

MissMinxtress said...

I love the look of this film.
And I'm so glad to hear that it's as good as it looks, esp as so many big ucks hollywood films turn out to be watery crap.
I really hoped to catch it on the cinema but being somewhat housebound at the mo I missed it.
I'm planning to go over to a friends who has a lovely big telly and suround sound to watch it to full effect. My tv just wouldn't do it justice.
I can't wait.