Friday, October 21, 2005

The 80's (my faves)


I just looked at serendipity’s blog and saw her top ten of the 80’s, sorry Serendipity but I had to cringe a little. Off came the cobwebs as I sat in my chair at work and the nostalgia monster kicked in. Ahh Serendipity I should thank you! You gave me that 80’s buzz at work (and a sense to right a few wrongs of injustice… Rick Astley indeed, still each to their own). Eighties music is such a big subject to cover, the decade started by shaking the last vestiges of punk off and was sprinkled with a lot of influences, synth, ska, rock, pop and yes… Adam with is antmusic. My music collection is heavily dominated by the 80’s, in fact I’m an 80’s freakazoid. I bought an 80’s cd from the States for £75 once.
Get me talking about the 80’s and I will probably waffle all night, even when you’ve left me with my beer and long gone home, I’ll be sat there in nostalgic euphoria, eyes half shut and dribble coming from my mouth. I did say in an earlier blog the ‘Temptation’ by Heaven 17 was my all time favourite, it’s been replaced after much thought by ‘In love with a German Film star’ by the Passions.
So here goes, I present my 80’s ideal top 30, the order is not sorta loose after number 5. As I say, it’s a big era to cover so sorry if I’ve missed out bands like Bon Jovi, Queen, U2 and all the other one hit wonder bands that were around – I still love them all but there just ain’t enough room!

1 - The Passions – I’m in love with a German film star
2 - Heaven 17 – Temptation
3 - Blondie – Atomic
4 - Visage – Fade to grey
5 - The Stranglers – Golden Brown
6 - Kraftwerk – The Model
7 - Human League – Don’t you want me (baby)
8 - B-Movie – Nowhere girl
9 - Vision – Lucifer’s friend
10 - Duran Duran – Union of the Snake
11 - Men without hats – Safety Dance
12 - The Associates – Party fears two
13 - New Order – Blue Monday
14 - Teardrop Explodes – Reward
15 - Gang of Four – I love a man in uniform
16 - Siouxsie and the Banshee’s – Happy house
17 - All About Eve – What kind of fool
18 - Kajagoogoo – Big apple
19 - Falco – Rock Me Amadeus
20 - Gary Numan – Cars
21 - Belouis Some – Imagination
22 - Sisters of Mercy – This corrosion
23 - Adam and the Ants – Antmusic
24 - Spear of Destiny – Never take me alive
25 - Frankie goes to Hollywood – Two tribes
26 - Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Geno
27 - The Adventures – One step from heaven
28 - Department S - Is Vic there?
29 - INXS – Never tear us apart
30 - The Go-Go's - Our lips are sealed

2 comments:

ems said...

Well, I thought I actually knew a litle something about eighties music. Clearly wrong as I don't think I have heard of half of these. I was obviously too young!

MissMinxtress said...

80's yey
Such great and dodgy music and clothes back then.
Great list of songs.
especially Temptation and Adam Ant.
I've been trying to do a few lists of my own but it's so hard.
I am now going go and to reminisce...