Monday, October 24, 2005

'G' mail

My current internet service provider NTL has been poor of late, this last week its been a lottery as to if my email works or not. So I decided to seek an alternative source of email, I wanted something other than the common hotmail so I decided to check out Google’s Gmail.

There was no link to it on the main search engine so I typed in ‘Gmail’ and was taken to a news link that said
Internet search leader Google has been forced to change the name of its free Gmail email service in Britain after failing to secure the necessary trademark.

‘Google has been sparring with UK financial research company Independent International Investment Research (IIIR) since launching Gmail on April 1, 2004 and shaking up the free email market by offering large amounts of storage for free. Starting Thursday, British users who sign up for Gmail, which has been in a "beta" trial phase since its launch last year, will receive addresses ending in "googlemail.co.uk" rather than "gmail.com." The two companies have been in heated negotiations to settle the dispute, but they have been unable to reach an agreement.’

Anyway, I sign up for a Google account only to find out ‘Googlemail’ is invitation only, so that’s as far as I got. I’ve emailed a few people recently and if you’ve not got my mail then I can only apologise and blame NTL, its not me ignoring you!

3 comments:

ems said...

I have no probs with ntl at home but for some reason I have a huge problem accessing it from anywhere else which leaves me reliant on my school email address which, when typed, takes up about 2 lines.

pat said...

some of us have a gmail account....

Hobbit's Journal said...

Thanks to everyone that posted me a link to register :-)