Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Crazy Day

I should have known today was going to be a crazy day when a pigeon tried getting through the curtains into my bedroom at 6am. I was startled by its warbling noises and movements and it was evidently trying to get in somehow, well I am three floors up, and I shouldn't complain as I don't get many birds in my bedroom these days! Some shouting and arm waving saw it on its way and it was time to rise. Time for a brew of earl grey tea, choccy biscuit and a quick chat with my friend Gary on Msn who is over in China.

Off to Nottingham on the train and I find myself sat opposite a largish framed woman with a pretty face dressed in a suit. I think to myself she probably works in an office at a building site and ironically at that moment she pulls out a construction magazine from her rucksack. I duck behind my free copy of the Metro newspaper and grin broadly.

The morning passes without real event. I do a pitch run out of the office to see if vendors want a top up of magazines whilst listening to Infected Mushroom and admiring the multitudes of eye candy Nottingham has to offer. Popping into to Forbidden Planet I bag something for a friends birthday and head back to the office to talk Game of Thrones with Holly.

As I head home there's a brooding air about Nottingham as the clouds hang darkly in the air, threatening to rain at any moment. 'Come on rain' I think as I really want the people at the Glastonbury festival to get wet this coming week. Coming to the crossing at Lower Parliament street I notice black guy acting erratically, talking to himself, sudden head movements and a restless demeanor. Nearby an old couple are looking nervously around, the clouds go dimmer and as we cross they take a sudden change of direction. It's obvious to me the coloured guy has mental health problems, I'd say he was approaching his late 20's dressed smart yet casual with a smallish affro haircut. He trails his finger along a window of a restaurant as we approach Cranbrook Street crossing then BOOM! He violently kicks the window of a restaurant and I'm shocked it didn't go through. Next he brings the flat of his hand down on a dustbin lid, water sprays off it and hits an oncoming young woman in the face and chest, the black guy seems oblivious to this and walks on shouting with pumped up vitriol at imaginary people. Having worked with mental health people I say to myself this man is off the scale and almost definitely dangerous, possibly exacerbated by drugs. I look at the young girl and shrug and she complains to me at what he's done. Before I can say 'Leave it, he is off his head or has serious mental stuff going on' she turns and shouts abuse.

An odd surreal pause moment follows and he turns around and begins to follow her, I avoid eye contact as he again smacks the window and sends the dustbin hurtling over with a kick. I ask myself 'Do I want to die?' and the answer 'Not today' spills out of my mind. He walks after her quickly shouting incoherently and I figure as she is walking towards lots of burly builders doing roadworks she should be safe (as they could floor him better than a hobbit like me could). I pause momentarily and wander what to do but as I promised myself I'd buy the Game of Thrones book 2 today and want to read it I consider walking on the best course of action! The best thing the young girl should do is walk on swiftly and say nothing more as I know how unpredictable and dangerous people with mental health issues can be. I'm no coward by any means but the mantra of the mental health place I used to work out kicks in and that was basically if they ever kick off - get out of there fast'.

Climbing the hill into Hockley I soon see two female community police officers (not really much bigger than me) and swiftly tell them what just transpired. Before I can really mention too much they are off to investigate and that's really the end of things from my perspective.

Walking into Waterstones books I'm engulfed by the calmness of the place, I find my book with ease and peruse it. Suddenly a book drops down from above me and clatters on the floor making me jump slightly, especially I my nerves are jangling a little after previous events. Book purchased I head towards the train station and berate myself as I was going to get the book online for £5 and this is £3 more but as I have a Waterstones card its not all bad as my credit goes up.

Skittering through the Broadmarsh centre I notice a guy walking towards me, his eyes narrow and he stares fixedly at me. 'Here we go again' I say to myself as I turn my head to still see him looking at me but then an instant feeling of recognition kicks in and I remember him from a pub I frequented long ago. 'Simon isn't it?' I enquire and he smiles and nods as I breathe a sigh of relief. We stop and chat discussing old times and how we've both done over the years, it's good to see him again.

Slumping into a seat and breathing hard as I nearly missed the train I open my bag and get the book out, it's called 'A Clash of Kings' by George R.R Martin. The train speeds home back to my quiet town and I hope to myself the crazy stuff is over for one day.

No comments: