Wednesday, June 08, 2011

At An Atheists Junction

Lately several blogs have been about religion and my feelings on the subject. I'm starting to feel my blogs on religious issues are taking over slightly and when I started my blog all those years ago I'd no idea my feelings on such a subject matter would grow so strong and defined. The last thing I want is people to look in and think 'Oh he's ranting about religion again ... I'll move on'. Religion of course is a contentious subject at best, most people tend to avoid it if possible and the old adage of never discuss religion and politics if you want to avoid crossing swords with someone is still very relevant.

The thing is I feel strongly about it, I feel compelled to blog about the evils of organised religion and my feelings on it. If anything over the last couple of years has been my calling or indeed cause I feel it's to actively take the fight back to the 'God-botherers' out there and make them see common practical sense.

Realistically speaking I am no Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennett or Stephen Hawking, I'm just a little fella who is probably passable at writing and has the odd articulate written or verbal flourish. To move forward with my whole heartfelt feelings on it I probably need to take it another step and perhaps start a more dedicated blog on such subject matter. I've been musing over the idea for a while, perhaps even doing a blog that is also a forum for others to contribute of the same mind as I know you can adjust the settings on here for mulitple people to post.

I have lots of ideas and much to say but I also realise that sometimes things are better debated to see it from different viewpoints before perhaps taking it forward. More reading is needed for sure and more verbal debating though I do realise that by verbal debating I may well lose a few before I get better. When it comes to debating I can be very good albeit it on a day when I feel 'up for it' shall we say, there's some days I just don't feel eloquent at all. Life gives you many skills that aren't always evident at the time but learned wisdom from experience can often be a clincher I've found. Rushing in and attempting to sound good can often backfire especially if you don't know your stuff or think about your wording. I'm more measured these days, though of course still make plenty of mistakes, though not as many as I did in my impetuous youth. Successive past jobs have furnished me with quite a bit even if I didn't realise it. I like to think I appraise things more fully these days and feel more tempered in many areas. I'm not feeling super confident here as I know there is an infinite amount of stuff to absorb in life and should I want to take my feelings about religion further then I need to read more, understand more and try and hone myself mentally, verbally and ensure my written stuff improves too. A fair bit of credit must go to my Psychology diploma studies a few years back as some of the content of that experience was personal development as well as learning the academic side. Life has shaped who I am now and despite past troubles I've always fought through. Reflecting back to my younger days I can see how naive and blinkered I was yet I can also credit myself that at an early age, despite my physical stature I'd promised myself I would never be a silent wall flower.

I know my limitations but I really want to try and get the man in the streets opinion across and show that it can be sensible and pragmatic. Oxford professor I'll never ever be because I'm just not that intelligent but I hope in my heart that I can take these strong feelings I have forward and get my pragmatic points across.

Moving ahead with this is something I feel really passionate or I wouldn't be here blogging about it. I want to unfurl a banner of sorts, I want to take it to the overbearing organised religious types that want to convert, brainwash and control that times are changing and that we can be perfectly moral without words uttered, written and re-written by ignorant men long ago that are still used to stop our growth as free thinking beings today.

So, a new different blog may well in the making as I kind of want the Hobbit's Journal to go back to what it once was which is mainly irrelevant musings and happenings often badly written by an ageing day dreaming generally happy hobbit (who is sometimes cynical and often pragmatic!).

I will now slip into a state of Che Guevarra/Winston Chruchil type reverie !

No comments: