Thursday, July 27, 2006

Grown on me

I didn't like this years Big Brother initially but I must confess I did stick with it and it's grown on me. The 'Best Friends' and 'Prison Task' had me in fits of laughter this week. The prison task is an attempt, albeit a light-hearted one of the famous mock prison experiment conducted by psychologist Philip G. Zimbardo at Stanford university back in 1971.
The experiment had 2 sets of students, one as guards, the other as prisoners in a mock prison and monitored how people reacted when they were in uniforms and empowered with authority or locked up and deprived of identity and priviliges. Of course the Big Brother one isn't really that serious at all, though I did look on with mouth open as Micheal ranted in the diary room at how good having power and authority was. It's amazing what a uniform does, even a camp prison guard one with pink trim!

1 comment:

ems said...

I have to admit to seeing a bit of this yesterday when C. was watching catch-up and it did make ma laugh. Those guard uniforms are fantastic!