Thursday, November 03, 2005

There's no place like Rome

I really enjoyed the first episode of ‘Rome’ the new mini series that began on bbc2 last night at 9pm. A really graphic look at how Rome really may have been, bawdy, corrupt, decadent and full of power play intrigue – my kind of place. It’s good to see a refreshing bit of telly at long last that isn’t afraid to depict things with adhering to political correctness.

This era of history really appeals to me, I have a few books on it but I’m no expert but the whole programme had the right feel to it.

It made me giggle when I thought of how my blogging buddies would fit into the Roman era.

I see myself as the archetypal roman, sat there on my horse (well my little pony) and looking arrogant and pompous, surveying all my willing servants and slaves, ever popular with the pleb masses.

Pat of course would have to be the Germanic or Gaul type with that long beard but instead of wielding a sword and yelling some barbarian war cry you can be sure he’d he commenting how arty and avant-garde the nearby tree’s look.

Em’s of course is often a stalwart opponent of our chauvinistic blog comments, so she’d have to be a concubine or roman kitchen slave !

Shep, like me is of typical roman stock, quick witted and an eye for the ladies, a book worm and cunning linguist for sure !

Serendipity seems to be the strong willed type so I’d have to put her down as the rebellious Boudicca (at least with a chariot you would not run out of petrol on the way home from work!)

Lastly I’d like to say something about Minxtress but as I’m just getting to know her it would not really be fair, so perhaps you could add something in the comments section !?

4 comments:

pat said...

mmm didn't see it, never thought about what i would have been.
my luck and i would have been the frankie howerd character in up pompei....

but for the sake of accuracy not germanic - more a woad soaked celt.

oh and i duck here comes that book.... ooops emma you missed.

Shep said...

Up to episode 9 of ROME - it's great stuff, much better than the first couple of episodes promised.

I think I'd make a good roman...but do I have the legs to wear the toga...?

MissMinxtress said...

I enjoyed it too, esp as it's from more of a "general life" aspect, interesting ideas.
And thanks for including me, even tho you don't know me, go ahead and make a suggestion, I wont be offended.
As for who I would be?
Probably some anti-"Rome" type.
But I would like to be a strong powerful woman, surounded by lots beautiful concubines!
Although I see myself more as an Egyptian than a Roman.

ems said...

NOOOOO! It's probably a good thing you are in Nottingham, Jay!

Do they show a slave being pushed to boiling point and knocking an arrogant, pompous master off his pony and then trampling on him?