Monday, January 03, 2005

Full Marx

Sunday evening saw the Comedians ‘Comedian’ (Channel 4, 9pm) where comic’s voted for their funniest comedian of all time. Purposefully I didn’t watch all the show as I went out to the pub and planned to catch the last 45 minutes, I knew if I watched it all I’d be vocalising my disapproval at some of the choices and positions. I was relatively happy with the results in the top ten though my own personal choice would have been Groucho Marx at the top slot followed by Tommy Cooper. I was a bit miffed at Peter Cook being number one but I can see the reasons behind it. It’s a shame Dudley Moore didn’t come higher because for me he’s the funnier of the two.

Groucho Marx’s is still the funniest man that ever lived for me, sharp, witty and such a way with words and quotes. Tommy Cooper was just naturally funny, he had that presence about him, a presence that made people laugh before he even said a word. Bob Hope (25th) and Bob Monkhouse (33rd) should have been higher in the rankings too but it was good to see Woody Allen highly placed.

It did make me feel good that a lot of old comedians were honoured and not forgotten, I also felt good about Ricky Gervais coming in at 49th !

The only serious injustice was Billy Connolly coming 8th !!

Anyway, here’s the top 10;

1. Peter Cook 2. John Cleese 3. Woody Allen 4. Eric Morecambe 5. Groucho Marx 6. Tommy Cooper 7. Laurel and Hardy 8. Billy Connolly 9. Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer 10. Richard Pryor
Marx Brothers links;

1 comment:

pat said...

john cleese - he's not that funny.
vic and bob - ugh not funny.
billy conolly - he's ok.

where are bob newheart, mel brooks, bill crosby.... ?

where are the great british funny men such as cannon and ball, little and large ?

and ricky g is just not funny.

sorry i am just such a grinch. though i am trying to remember the stand up lass i once almost wet my pants laughing over. can picture her but no idea what her name was.