Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Pathetic politics

It makes me angry, it really does and that’s politics. I sat watching BBC News 24 about the recent and very tragic tsunami disaster, as the images appeared on my screen I just felt like stepping into the picture and handing them food or clothes. As the images faded the reporter went on to look at the political angle of it all and detail who was blaming who, who wasn’t doing anything and who was providing the most aid! For crying out loud, any aid is aid! Any help is better than none at all. As the report unfolded it was mentioned how the American hierarchy don’t trust the UN, how some countries affected are home to Muslim terrorists or regimes that aren’t approved by Bush and his boys, mind you in a gallant gesture Mr Bush is sending is brother over to assess the situation.

Perhaps I’m seemingly being harsh here as I’m sure the Americans will send lots of aid and I’m sure the American people will contribute generously but it just grated on me how it suddenly became all political, forget the politics, these are humans that have had their lives devastated, everyone needs to contribute – and I mean everyone!

Our politicians were no better, Howard said if he was in Egypt like Blair was he’d have come home to deal with it, then later John Prescott was firing salvo’s back at Howard, it was all sick point scoring.

Having been Thailand I’ve seen some of the basic housing they have there, tin sheds basically that would not offer any protection against the encroaching horror of the tsunami.

Like a lot of lives they would have been washed away.

No comments: