Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Camden Town

I’ve found my retail paradise and it’s called Camden Town.

This past weekend I was visiting friends in London and had long wanted to check out a shoe shop called ‘Swear Shoes’ that was in Camden town. So I arranged with my London guide, friend and sherpa (well more mountain goat!) Pat to accompany me there. I met Pat at Kings Cross (he was late again) and we jumped on the tube up to Camden. It never dawned on me what it would be like, Pat had hinted it was something of a hippy / punk hangout and that he’d not been there for some millennia.

As I walked out the tube station I realised I’d walked into Shoe shop and clothing heaven!

I was overwhelmed by the myriad of retail bounty before me, from punk to grunge, hippy to urban military the streets were simply festooned with all manner of street fashions and garb. It wasn’t all shops though, there were market stalls in abundance, music outlets, restaurants of all kinds and of course pubs! There was something about Camden which I really identified with, it was like the Hockley area of Nottingham but on a bigger scale and with infinite choice. It wasn’t long before I found ‘Swear shoes’ and made my purchase of an awesome pair of their shoes but they were not the only purchase of the fruitful day.

I swear by the holy toe nail clippings of J.R.R Tolkien I will return to Camden Town……….and soon.
Check out the link to Swear shoes below and use the shopping link

No comments: