Friday, June 03, 2005

Big Bro, week one verdict

Big Bro 6 has been on our screens for a week, here’s the hobbit’s view so far…

I think the first week has proved interesting, both in and out of the BB house. Out of the house I’ve read the press with interest and also the psychologist’s conclusions. I’m not sure about the guy who was spouting off about office psychology on BBLB and relating it to people in the BB house, he just seemed to be clutching at straws as he tried to pair clips with theories – it didn’t really work.

I read Jim Shelley’s comments in the Mirror with interest ‘and who wouldn’t want to watch them? People watching is one of the most natural human instincts going. This Big Brothers genius: its gossip writ large’. And he goes on to add ‘ This- you could argue – is the youth of Britain today under a microscope. It’s also Britain’s future. Surely that’s got to be worth Studying’ I have to agree Jim.

As for in the house, my views and looking at it from a transactional analysis / behaviour slant we have all kinds of characters. Craig who is up for eviction is demonstrating the I-, U- (I’m not ok, you’re not ok) behaviour, he’s using indirect aggression and the ‘martyrdoms my way of life’ approach with is whinging and sobbing – he has to go!

We have Science who is assertive in a positive kind of way a classic I+, U+ (I’m ok, you’re ok) and then in contrast we have Maxwell who is exhibiting signs of direct aggression – I+, U- (I’m ok, you’re not ok). Mary accused Roberto of ‘playing a game but in my opinion Mary is playing a bigger game, though saying this I do like her to an extent. Where Roberto is trying to be more amiable within the group Mary is more outspoken and openly hostile, again direct aggression I+, U-. Mary is also a classic switcher in the fact she has anger bouts that often outweigh the event and being upset on cue but then again most in the house seem able to do that! There’s a fair few in the house who are ‘Assassins’ stirring up trouble, building alliances with people they are denouncing in private and alternating between dangerously plausible concoctions of truth and lies. Kemal, Makosi, Sam and Craig are excellent Assassin types though I think Makosi is fab, a real asset to the show and damn sexy with it. All in all I like them all for various reasons, except Craig who deserves total obscurity when he leaves, I don’t even think the gay community will vote for him as he’s basically characterless and ‘mardy’ as us northerners say. Oddly enough, Tory boy Derek makes me smile, his joy at not being nominated came across as very congruent instead of the usual ‘I’m cool with stuff’ quotes like the other house mates seem to portray themselves. (reminds me of my perfidious ex!). The women seem to be more game players than the blokes, though Maxwell likes to be heard, Sam and Saskia are typical ‘Clams’ in the fact they are trying to be mysterious and play deliberately stupid in some situations though this visually comes across as non communicative stance and thus non offensive to the viewers at large but their game plan is obvious to see. Maxwell berated Kemal for bathing in a dustbin of warm water saying he was ‘doing it for the camera’ yet Maxwell in being openly critical was seeking audience attention himself. So, its all games, transactions and high jinks in the house – I’m enjoying it immensely and so are the press even though they love to criticise it, it gives them a job after all!

1 comment:

ems said...

It's manufactured people watching. The real thing is so much more enjoyable. I will admit to managing 35mins of BB last night but it makes me too angry. I kept shouting at the tv and then decided I was bored with it and flounced off to bed.