Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Hypocrisy?

I'm confused. Though I'm not watching this series of Big Brother on Channel 4 I gather a housemate was evicted for using the term 'nigger' quite innocently whilst dancing with another house mate (of Afro-Caribbean background). Swift action was taken and she was removed from the show.
But surely Channel 4 are hypocrites? They readily show Hip-hop, R'n'B and rap videos and even programmes in which the word 'nigger' is clearly used.
Personally I don't like the word or agree with its use but it seems to me things are somewhat fudged these days as regarding certain words and who can say them.
You're always going to get black people that play the racist card and condemn certain words and actions but equally you are going to get black people that are quite happy with the word and freely use it. I understand the origins of the word and why it could be found distasteful for a white person to call an ethnic person it but I do feel that certain incidents on tv only serve to heighten racial tensions also.
But in closing I just think it smacks of hypocrisy from channel 4 who in trying to resolve it have seemingly made it a big deal.

1 comment:

pat said...

it was interesting that when mr simmons, of def jam fame, was talking about the rap community cleaning up its act he kept referring to the "n-word" but was happy to mention "bitches" and "ho's".
i thought he was very coy about saying norman.