Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Leicester

Last Thursday I went to Leicester, I never really realised it was so close to me... and so good. It's about 23 minutes or so on the train from Nottingham, so quick and easy to get to as you can catch a London train that only stops at Leicester en route. The first picture is of the lanes area, small roads, arcades and alleyways filled with shops of all descriptions, some excellent clothes shops.

The next photo is of Leicester cathedral which if I'm being honest isn't really that magnificent at all, smaller in fact than the Mary Magdalene church in Newark. Not far away is a massive covered market, one of the biggest covered markets in europe I'm told. There is also a large fish market nearby.


The Good Earth restaurant on Free lane is where I had my lunch, it has a very retro feel with varnised wooden decor throughout, even the walls have wooden stained panels. The food was excellent and would suit veggies down to the ground (no pun at the restaurant name there!). The food is lovely, fresh on the day and when its gone, they close basically!

So, all in all I really enjoyed Leicester, it has a lovely multicultural feel to it that some cities don't. The shopping is excellent and it looks like there is alot of work going on in and around the city redeveloping areas, when its all done I'm sure Leicester will fantastic for a day out, not that it isn't already.

1 comment:

ems said...

Sounds really good.

As far as cities are concerned if they have a marathon I've probably been there. I'm guessing Leicester doesn't have one. It's somewhere everyone's heard of but never visited (myself included). I also had no idea it was so close to Nottingham.