Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Dogs

I’m going to be honest and start this blog with a forthright statement – ‘I don’t like dogs’. To me dogs are creatures that are used for the vanity of others, they are kept by the insecure, they are paraded by egotistical brainless thugs as status symbols – I think people even keep them as ‘pets’ too!

But, before you all go snarling at me with vitriolic hate, bear in mind, this is just my opinion.

In this country we make a big deal about dogs, we fawn and pamper over them, treat them as almost human beings, which of course they are not. On reading various news articles this week I’ve found it alarming how many dogs involved in attacking others are actually ‘owned’ and not stray.

It’s not just dog attacks that bother me, though I have been attacked twice by dogs, it’s the irresponsible people that own them who piss me off too, though I’m not denying the majority of dog owners are responsible.

We need to get sensible in this country about dogs; we need a dog licence that costs at least a £100 which would include the dog being micro chipped in the price - then true dog lovers would pay it, not those who use and abuse them. We need harsher fines and sentences for owners of dogs that attack others or foul the streets. Then there are the selfish neighbour types that go to work whilst their dog barks all day making others lives a misery. What about the unattended dogs, allegedly safe and secure on property who escape only to cause chaos? We all know when dogs escape they lose their marbles and revert back to a pack mentality; I’ve seen it countless times.

In my ideal world, dogs would be used on farms, used in Airports and for their best use – to aid disabled and blind people – not to serve the vanity or stroke the ego of others.

7 comments:

Hobbit's Journal said...

Firstly, thanks for the comments. Kaz, I see your comparisons with humans but this is a blog about dogs and my views of them, not a blog about humans, I can blog about their bad deeds any day of the week.

Secondly, Angel, the licence would be as simple as going to the post office - just like taxing a car. I think it's a reasonable fee to ask if you really want a dog and the money would add immensely to the treasury and could be used for many things.

I'm sure there will be more comments!

Hobbit's Journal said...

Yep, make the dog licence £250 then and as for catching owners that didn't register, the police catch drunk drivers, I'd say dog owners are easier to catch.

As for strays, well thats unprintable!

Hobbit's Journal said...

Anything is feasible or possible, I'm sure the brickies thought 'we've got a f**cker of a job on here' when they started the great wall of China but they still built it. At the very least we could introduce it for new dog owners, it would make the casual dog buyer or one that buys a dog for christmas think twice. And at least with dogs being chipped they are easier to locate and repatriate when found. I saw a dog roaming around on my road the other day acting defensive, that sort of thing isn't good around kids.

Celadine said...

The chip could hold the info easily as to the dog being registered, a simple hand held scanner is wafted over the dogs neck and gives the vet or warden the registration details, at the moment this costs around £20. Some people can't afford to register their dog, and to these people that dog happens to be the only thing they have to talk to, I am talking about the elderly, so do we deny them the right to own a dog who makes lives bearable for them as they can't afford the fee? I pity you Jay, to me humans hurt far more than any dog, I hope you never have to endure that kind of suffering, if you do then you will stop being peter pan....

Hobbit's Journal said...

I thought I was more Captain Hook than Peter Pan.

pat said...

they are just dogs......

lolly said...

Ok, firstly, I believe everyone has the right to their own opinion, here's mine.

I am a lover of animals, and own three cats, all of which are microchipped. The sole reason I do not own a dog, is that I work long hours and it would be irresponsible to take on an animal which needs walking and a degree of company to keep it a happy animal.
There are always going to be vicious dogs, in the way that there are always going to be vicious humans....it's nature. We can't change it.

A dog can make a wonderful companion, my family have always had dogs, and they have always been delightfully pleasant pets.
The recent bad press is upsetting, and my heart goes out to the victims and their families, but maintaining that all dogs are a problem is rather blinkered.
Humans are the problem, when it comes to dogs. Interbreeding and cruelty are just two of the causes for problem dogs. ANother cause is training.

I do think that harsher penalties should be enforced on people who own dangerous dogs and are irresponsible with them. I also think that the licence idea - in theory is a good one. The enforcing of it would be a hugely different issue. A nightmare problem to solve in my humble opinion.

Attitudes to dog ownership needs to change, many dog owners, in particular those who own rotweilers will be distraught by recent attacks. These are the people who will face the media aftermath, when they more than likely have loveable family pets who are well cared for and loved.