Friday, October 08, 2004

In Memorium

On October 3rd my good friend Gerrard Shannon passed away, he was known affectionately to his friends as 'Gerry' 'Gez' or 'the Shan', he was a mere 42 years young.

It's hard to describe Gerry in a few words, he was a lively character, extremely witty and sharp but someone that also cared about the welfare of his family and friends. In my formative days of drinking copius amounts of beer Gerry was a constant character in my life, always vibrant and always with a story to tell.

Gerry had a gift, that gift was making people laugh, he could ignite a whole pub into fits of laughter just with his presence, I often likened him to the comedian 'Tommy Cooper'.

Not only was he funny, he was streetwise, generous and very intelligent. He'd not worked for several years because of ill health but this never curbed his zest for life.

His passing is a sad loss, it was the day the laughter died. It has certainly (and even with my counselling experience) affected me deeply. I'll never forget Gerry, thats for sure, neither will his large circle of friends and family.

I can just see the big irish fella now, telling jokes and causing his own brand of mayhem !



No comments: