Thursday, October 28, 2004

Culture Shock !!!

I remember back in my youth, back in the 1980's when the Brit culture was full of diversity and different styles. Punk's with their shocking hair and rebellious clothes, Mods in slick gangster suits, Heavy rockers swathed in denim and leather, futurists with obtuse hair styles adorned in vibrant colours, Brosette's, Wham girls, Rasta's and your average pop lover that just liked to look trendy. There was always a panoply of people in pubs and bars, all mingled and enjoying themselves, they seemed to be golden days full of excitement and change.

Now what do we have? We have 'Chav's'. Chav's are the burberry baseball hat, bling wearing, tracksuited yobs that are in abundance on our streets today. The thing is, they all look the same - characterless, there's just no identity there at all. I walked through my town the other day only to notice that the 'Chav's' had taken over, which ever way I looked I saw one.

I guess (more like hope) that it's just a passing trend, I think I would have paid good money that day to see a punk rocker appear wearing tartan jeans, mohican hair and a pierced nose - someone who wanted to make a statement and really did get noticed.

www.chavscum.co.uk


No comments: