Sunday, August 14, 2011

Gone

I knew when the phone kept ringing at 8am this morning something must be wrong. At first I just ignored the home phone but then my mobile lit up beside me on the pillow and my aunts name popped up on screen. I knew it was bad news so didn't answer it.

She could only be ringing for one reason, and that was my dear grandmother had passed away.

I rang her back and my worst fears were confirmed, my grandmother Doris had died in her sleep this morning, she'd been ill for some time so it wasn't a complete shock but the news still smashed into me like a freight train. She was my last remaining grandparent and without doubt the one I loved the most too, I loved all the others but Doris was really special, she had a big part in my life over the years. In a few more days she would have been 89 years old. In her in final years she lived with my aunt who has done a remarkable job in caring for her but she remained hale and with all her faculties till the last, sadly the last few weeks she had been in much pain.

I cannot describe the loss I feel today, I want to type a longer blog but I just can't because I hurt too much. I will do a blog that will do her memory proud in the future.

She was a remarkable woman who gave me so much love - I'm utterly devastated.

No comments: