Sunday, May 07, 2006

Slipping away...

I’ve have been offered the job in London, came as a bit of a shock but now I’m up against logistics, extortionate train fares and high rents. I’m really happy about being offered the job, working in London has always been a dream of mine, and I’d love to be able to say that I had the experience of working in London for a while at the very least. So, here I have the chance of working in the busy and exciting capital, ok the money isn’t amazing (19K) but we all have to start somewhere don’t we? Added to that, it’s an opportunity for other things, a way out of my dull as dishwater town.

Having been offered the job Thursday I decided the best immediate plan would be to travel into London direct from Newark, become a commuter, the journey is about 1 and 20 minutes, not bad when you consider it can take 45-50 mins to get back from Nottingham by car in the rush hour and that’s only 18 miles away.

So Friday became a fact finding mission, looking at private properties to rent and finding some decent small flats for £300-330 per month. The shock came on visiting the train station to check out monthly travel tickets – a whopping £632 per month. I asked the man behind the screen again in disbelief and he showed me the screen to confirm it, even then I went back a second time to re-affirm it after standing outside the entrance shaking my head. I felt angry, especially as earlier in the week I’d paid £45 for a late return ticket for the interview only to find the train half empty, yet they make it sound as if they are squeezing you on last minute. Before that when I tried to sort one to attend an earlier interview they wanted £129 for a first class one way ticket – to which I said ‘No way’. What are the train people pissing about at? They don’t encourage you to get on trains!

Suddenly the job was starting to slip away, travel, rent, bills etc making it all seem pointless, I’d hardly have any money left. Dejected I headed back into Newark and sat by the river with a pint to gather my thoughts on which was essentially a lovely day weather wise, only there was a thunderstorm going on in my head.

Later, looking on the net a properties in places such as Camden and Hertfordshire just outside of London the rent prices were high (as expected really) and the transport into London a lot cheaper, about £140 per month from Herts. There definitely a pendulum effect, cheaper rent – high travel cost or fairly high rent – cheaper travel.

So my dilemma goes on, I feel low, really pissed off and angry at how much things now cost – Blair you have a lot to answer for!

The sands of time are ticking, I did speak to an ex in Hertfordshire who says I could kip on her sofa until I was sorted but if things didn’t work out with her mate-wise or I didn’t like the job then I’m a long way from home.

At this point I just feel like its all slipping away, a great chance being screwed up to circumstances out of my control, or if I’m being honest - realistically out of my reach.

3 comments:

pat said...

not sure you can blame balir for the fact the tories sold off the rail in a stupid fashion.
you could blame him for not re-nationalising them.

but yeah train fares you have to wonder at how they work, (or don't as the case may be).

Hobbit's Journal said...

Yep, he should have nationalised them back maybe, the prices are stupid and when you go to other parts of the world you see how archaic our transport system really is. Travelling to work by national transport isn't encouraged and it definately shows a gap between what the rich can afford and the others can't.

ems said...

Flat share until you can find something reasonable?

Well done on the offer of the job!