Friday, May 26, 2006

Big Brother - on it's arse

I’ve watched Big Brother with morbid fascination, shaking my head at how dire it suddenly seems. This years house mates are dull, I mean really dull, only Pete seems to have any semblance of a personality. With two housemates gone in the first week and the press critics beginning to stick the knife in Endemol and Channel 4 have a problem on their hands. Personally I don’t think they vet the housemates enough, why don’t they have several mock up houses, put a load of people in each one for a week or so and then take the best ones for the real house, at least that way they’d worm out the dullards from the potentials – or even better just put average joe public in there instead of wannabe’s with no real personality.

I will say this already, tourette sufferer Pete will win. My blogging friend Minxtress tipped him from the off, I’ve a feeling she will be proved right. Already on a Big Brother forum someone posted and quite funnily quoted ‘R2-D2 to win’ – and he will. He is the only refreshing character in there, a gentle guy with bags of personality and a disability, and why not have people with disabilities? I’ll tell you why because we are all prudes and judgemental and would just laugh but wouldn’t it be refreshing to see someone in a wheelchair, a blind person or a dwarf – I’m talking life’s achievers and battlers, people that can overcome and be inspirations to others, the unsung heroes of today’s society.

This years big brother made me cringe, especially the whole ‘Shabaz’ saga, here is a person who seems to be lacking in social skills, and not surprising seeing as this able bodied person has been unemployed for 17 years. He didn’t really gel with the housemates because of his social skills and over tactile approach. He swiftly became annoying but how did the rest of the group react to this? – childish bullying, Instead of dealing with it in an adult manner they resorted to immature tactics making the whole thing very cringe-worthy telly. It wasn’t a shock when he left, more of a relief and I’m sure the guy will be receiving psychiatric help.

Then we have Bonnie or ‘Bonnaayyy’ as she calls herself. Touted as a real wild child on the opening night it couldn’t have been further from the truth. She bleated when the others got her name wrong as she said ‘I’m Bonnaayy’ yet amazingly she could pronounce it properly on the second attempt. She should be called Bonnet de douche – yep that means shower cap in French, and let’s face it, she has all the personality of one, my bet is she goes first.

Glyn the Welsh lifeguard – I’ve seen 7 year olds on my road with more character.

Dawn at least got one over on big brother, by using code, jokingly called the ‘Dawn Vinci code’ by the press. She had the sense to tell her relatives to exploit the big bro rules and tell them a family member was sick if she was receiving bad press on the outside. Big brother are obliged to inform housemates if a family member is ill, and of course they did, hence the prompt for cunning Dawn demand to leave.

The rest are pretty much posing characterless preening prima donna’s who constantly stroke their own and each others egos – enough said.

So, Channel 4 needs to do something drastic to change things, everyone I know is saying how bad it is this year and I’m sure it’s the same around the country. Can Channel 4 and Endemol reverse things?

Lets wait and see but I remain cynical.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Our BB in America is much different than yours...

I was in London last summer, and I watched your BB for hours. I never could quite figure it out.

Does your BB have competitions and such for food like ours? I can't remember seeing any.

Hobbit's Journal said...

Apparently Big Bro does put people in practice set ups first, several in this big bro have had trial runs and housemate Pete has been considered since Big Bro 2. Thought I'd amend things there, So folks if you auditioned for this series - chances are you didn't stand a chance, they were already chosen.

pat said...

i have a solution for big brother.

they just pick out various bloggers and have them in the house - jay, shep and emms.... now that would be worth watching!

Hobbit's Journal said...

I'd seriously corrupt them both, innocent souls that they are!