Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Idea becomes Institution

I usually blog about Channel 4’s reality tv programme ‘Big Brother’ every year but this year I’m not going to give it so much attention.

Several reasons really, basically it’s been over hyped by the tabloid press, in a self confessional the tabloids and glossy mags admit Big Brother is good for sales. Next is the every increasingly bizarre contestant’s in order to gain a captive audience – what has happened to the show that seemingly started off with ‘normalish’ house mates in a psychological experiment?

The thing is, the initial idea has now become an institution, the media happy to help, oblige and in turn crucify the hapless wannabe’s (though the wannabe's don't do themselves any favours!). I’m pretty sure they’d have good television by putting normal characters in there and see how they cope and overcome various hardships and challenges, alas no, we have a circus instead, people that don’t really represent a cross section of ‘real’ society.

I’m not saying I’m not going to watch Big Brother because I will but I’m not the fan I once was of the show.

No comments: