Thursday, January 26, 2006

Ruined?

So, Gorgeous George has left the Big Brother house to one of the worst receptions I can recall. Has he done himself any favours, has he endeared himself to the public, has be made politics more accessible and mainstream – I don’t think so. Independent polls had just 7% liking George and 93% hating him. As I said in a previous blog I admired what he was trying to do, but having watched more of George I think he likes the limelight. Towards the end he did come across as unrelenting, unforgiving and just a little bit sinister puffing away on his cigar, maybe he’d make a good James Bond villain or perhaps he wants to be Grand Moff Galloway in the next Star Wars movie. The weeks to come will surely test his resolve and character more than the Big Bro house ever did, the press are baying like a pack of wolves, so are the media and his reception when he returns to parliament should prove interesting. I don’t dislike George but neither do I like him either after watching him some more. At first he consoled Barrymore only to turn on him, as for his dynamics with the younger members of the house, well they left something to be desired, I guess they were easy pickings for a seasoned orator like himself. George hasn’t endeared himself to the public, instead he’s become the opposite of what he set out to do, he’s become infamous, disdained by the majority youthful voters of Big Bro and berated by the older generation to boot. Good luck George, I think you’ll need it!

I’m just left musing, were George’s intentions really to reach out and bring politics to a broader public base? Did he plan to become more popular? Did he ever think that the press would follow his antics so closely and that he’d leave so unpopular?

Oh well George, you had balls in some respects, dressing up, making a fool of yourself and joining in where most would not. I noticed this morning during a telly interview, George raised my point from a previous blog I typed about politicians going on so called ‘fact finding junkets abroad and wasting money’, I still stand by this and think what George did was brave though self promoting and sadly due to facets of his personality – a flawed attempt.

As for me, I’m off to Thailand on Friday, so I won’t see the Big Bro final or the papers stories of George over the coming week or so, I can’t wait till Paxman interviews him!

No comments: