Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Big Bro - musings and George!



Politicians mixing with pop stars, actresses cavorting with basketball players, ordinary people becoming celebrities - only in the Big Brother house can this happen, it’s as good as reality t.v gets. The latest instalment of celebrity Big Bro hasn’t been a rollercoaster but neither as it been as dull as dishwater. Chantelle is a celebrity in the making, plucked from the public she passed her test to convince fellow house mates she was the ‘real deal’, though I’m not sure they were all convinced you had to admire the ‘have a go’ attitude of her.

George Galloway has risen in my estimation, for many reasons. While in the corridors of power George is being mocked I really think he should be praised. Most politicians remain faceless, you only ever see them on flyer leaflets through letter boxes yet George has decided to open himself up for scrutiny, here the people get a chance to see the real person behind the politician. Most politicians whilst wanting to raise their public profile would shun Big Bro, considering the idea utter bad taste, after all they’d rather stick to high brow dinners and golf. Before people raise the point that George is indeed getting paid for his appearance, consider this – how many members of parliament jet off for all expenses paid so called ‘fact finding’ missions to places like the Bahamas? George is giving his constituents a chance to observe the man they voted for, I doubt he’s missed much whilst in the house, politics after all, never moves fast. By entering the house George is showing he wants to be in touch with things, experience things and this in my book has to be admired. Lastly, if a politician wants to go on Big Bro, then why not! We are a modern day society after all. I like the fact that in the house George is like a wandering therapist, politician, father figure and he’s also playing the game, I’m liking the bloke more each day!

People often only remember the arguments and tantrums on Big Bro, but what about the team building, the camaraderie and the chance to grow as a person? We often wrap ourselves in cotton wool, never want to share experiences with others, a lot of us don’t want adventure in social interaction because we're scared to leave our protective bubble or bravely reveal our emotions and personalities, many of us would rather appear to be cool.

In a lot of reality tv show’s I see celebrities as volunteers of sorts, they are happy to be observed in front of a camera where as a lot of us ‘normal’ folk would shy away, far too self conscious to grace the lens. Whilst they entertain and get paid, we work and get paid, what is the difference in a situation that won’t change between celebrities and joe public? They have a job, we do, they have breaks whilst we can be promoted at work. I’m no fan of Michael Barrymore but I admire the guy for doing what he has, often emotional and looking haggard Barrymore has had at least had the guts to give it a go even after being dragged over the coals by the press in the past. Barrymore is giving us a chance to judge him instead of reading gutter press that seeks to sensationalise and accuse at every turn.

Jodie Marsh on leaving said in the press she’d been ruined by Big Bro, yet I believe she had a 35k contracted fee to pick up, then of course chat show fee’s and cash payouts from the press wanting her two minute story. I don’t dislike Jodie, in fact I don’t really have any opinion of her but she needs to realise she chose to enter the Big Brother house, she knew the risks and she also must have seen the possible rewards.

Then of course we had the entrance of 80 year old television Legend Jimmy Saville to give the house mates Jim’ll fix it badges – tv magic !

For the people and axe grinders that see reality television as immoral then surely they must realise we live in an immoral society but it’s a society that offers choice and the media that seek to promote reality tv offer us the chance to be the original nosey neighbour.

With so many aspects of life to examine, creative ideas to embrace and so many facets of the human character to see I don’t think we’ll ever see the last of reality television.

5 comments:

Hobbit's Journal said...

AAhh well, the world turns and turns again, some of us have money, some don't, some of us win the lottery and some of us have to work, I don't envy George and neither do I pity his constituents - in many ways you make your own luck. I don't see my resident local politician making sweeping changes where I live and he hardly appears in parliament, George is a least giving me a politician I can relate to, my admiration for him grows despite what axe grinders or political critics say. Like the other housemates I'm sure George considers this whole thing to be about George the person and not George the politician. At first I criticised him, now I like him, thats because I actually watch the show and gave him the benefit of my time unlike many that don't and criticise it!

Mo said...

I also watch the show but I'm the opposite... I respected Galloway as a politician but since seeing "the cat" in action I have to agree with thulsa doom... he is a pompous little twat.

ems said...

can't stand the programme or the man...

Glasgow Detail said...

It`s strange isn`t it, we vote in liars and keep voting them in, yet when some one tells the truth and sticks up for the underdog, we continually cut them down.
George was my MP but I have never really liked his personality, however I must admire his frank and direct approach. His villa in Portugal, well was that not paid for by the fools and idiots who chose to fabricate lies and deception, and who inevitably have had to pay for their stupidity through court awards for libel.

joe boyle

Shep said...

I personally can't for the "Meow" chants as he enter the house of commons next...

...whenever that will be!