Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Melancholy

It’s a seemingly odd week for me, my last week at work in five and a half years, my mood being a mixture of relief, reflections and melancholy. Friday is my last night shift so come 8:30am that morning, that’s it – I officially become a hobbit of leisure. I’m not worried about what the future holds because I’m practically minded that way, if I sit on my arse and don’t make things happen then they won’t, I’m sure fate will also have a little say too.

When I came in for my shift today at half past midnight it was my boss’s last shift, a very sad and muted occasion (muted as in hardly any staff left to see him go), he’s been a great guy to work for over the years, honest, understanding and he had that human touch that a lot of boss people often lack.

I’m looking forward to new challenges when Friday is over, in all honesty my job has become mundane and is making me lethargic, so there will be no regrets come Friday but a fair few fond memories.

I was saying to my work mate that it feels like the New Year actually begins Friday when the job ends, like I have to say goodbye to the job in order to welcome the New Year in and a fresh start.

And there’s always the booze up to come Friday !!!

No comments: