Thursday, July 28, 2005

Woe is me or is it the Cd?

In the early hours of last Wednesday I was surfing the net trying to locate a song I heard on a recent film I’d watched. At first I got nowhere but thanks to Google and the Internet movie data base I made progress and soon found a cd that had the track I wanted on it. My search had led me to Amazon which I sometimes use but have had the odd though minor problem with and the cd was available for £8 and to my good fortune the cd had some other great tracks on by various artists.

So I went ahead and ordered the cd only to notice several minutes after ordering that the same Amazon trader (I’d not ordered direct from Amazon) had another version of the cd with several more tracks. So I decided to cancel the first ordered cd and place an order for the second one with more tracks at the same price, this is where the problems began. Unlike Play.com Amazon doesn’t allow you to cancel online, you have to email the trader and cancel it, there doesn’t seem to be a cool off period before the order is ‘allegedly’ sent.

After my school boy error in ordering I read the terms and conditions about cancelling and decided to send the trader called ‘Second-Sounds’ based in Buckinghamshire a mail to cancel the first order and send my second placed order instead, I made the email fool proof. I also tried to call them when I got home that morning but just got an answerphone asking you to leave full details which I did, they never got back to me. That evening I received an email back from Amazon and themselves, the Amazon email said the order had been placed with the trader and they themselves being the middle men had credited the trader with payment. The email from Second-Sounds said that my order had already been despatched and that I could send the goods back with a covering letter for a full refund. Being pissed off that they’d seemingly not checked their email and amended my order or replied to my voice mail I sent them an angry email asking if they ever checked their email first off in a morning or respond to answer phone messages?

Friday, I received an email again from Second-Sounds with a muted apology stating that because they send goods so speedily there is often no cancellation timescale which is unfortunate but 99% of their customers are very happy. Then Saturday I got another email from Amazon saying that my order would be despatched in the next 48 hours, this infuriated me even more.

Well its now over a week and the cd’s haven’t arrived, to add to the agony I saw the same cd on play.com who have never failed to deliver in less than 3 days, the track I wanted was also available to download on the net – oh woe is me !

My advice is use Play or Gemm when ordering cd’s though I’ve no beef with Amazon about this, just some of their traders though past experiences with traders on Amazon have been positive.

No comments: