Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Right place, wrong job

On Monday I had an interview with a large phone company over in a town where I want to relocate to, it’s about eighteen miles from me and basically I like the place. The interview had happened purely by chance, my dad talking to someone in a pub and me passing on my cv onto him and then hey presto - an interview. Having worked at my present employer for the last five years I’ve not really had that many interviews, a couple or three I think but I wasn’t really feeling nervous. I paced up and down outside the place a little, took in some air and went in. Having being kept waiting for twenty minutes I was then told by one of the interviewers they’d mislaid my cv, luckily I had another on hand and we sat down to business, though I felt off kilter. Then I was asked a rather stupid set of questions that really didn’t really offer any insight as to who I really was. I’ll be honest and say I wasn’t really in the groove, I’d not really thought about anything before the interview, in fact I was probably too confident, as I hastily burbled my answers I just knew they were disjointed and not really fluid at all. Then came the banker question at the end ‘where do you see yourself in a year?’ a question that really pisses me off, my expression and body language must have projected that.
After the interview I walked back to my dads, a fair old walk but I needed to think. My conclusion was that I’d had a reality check, in all truth I’d not really wanted the job that much, I just wanted to move to that area. In saying that though the salary was crap, 2K less than what I earn now and the people that worked there looked a set of miserable gits. During the weekend prior to the interview I’d been confidant, had my ego stroked about getting the job and was mentally setting myself up to move to a new area. Life gives you a kick up the arse at times – and I got one on Monday, I still want to move to that area but I’ve got to go for a job I really want so it will be a case of right place, right job. Right, I’m just off to drink a bottle of gin …

No comments: