Friday, July 29, 2005

Pirates

I really can’t understand people that become total music pirates. The thought of sub standard tunes downloaded from the net doesn’t really appeal to me and then there are the tacky covers and cases they do.

Firstly I can see the point in downloading tracks of a band you may be interested in, just to get a feel of what they are like.

Secondly the net is a great way of finding new bands and talent, plus a lot of sites like napster are now legit and you pay for what you get.

Thirdly there’s always just the odd track you want, so why by the cd?

Lastly, there’s some obscure stuff out there that’s only available on the net as its most likeable been withdrawn or deleted. I agree in principal with file swapping too as you can get your hands on a lot of rare stuff.

I do all of the above but also tend to buy cd’s also, I like having a lot of cd’s and I like them to be original, so in 99% of my collection, what I have on the pc hard drive I also have on original cd. I just could not have some tacky photo copied insert with a scribbled on cd.

I guess I just like to pay homage to the music I like by buying the original cd and lets be honest folks with sites like Play.com, Amazon, ebay et al, music media is now so cheap and accessible – why copy it?

I guess it’s the same with dvd, I’ve often watched a copied dvd and thought, ‘I wish I’d got the original to watch as this is shit quality’. So nowadays I just buy dvds.

Anyway, moan over!

2 comments:

Shep said...

I too download all I can.I still figure that for all the years I paid £15 for a CD when it cost 40p to make and the artist got £1, they got loads of my cash. Now I'm taking it back.

Plus, I download absolute rubbish. Just because I can!

pat said...

i am in both camps.
i download a ton and a half, but still give too much money to play.com and others.
the important part for me is to have the music to listen to - whether i have bought it, copied it or downloaded it.
and some of that swedish and mexican prog stuff is only available on the net.