Thursday, April 28, 2005

Never judge a book by its cover

Yesterday, after work I was at my Wednesday morning Transactional Analysis course at college which is running for the next seven or so weeks. The group is made up from all walks of life and for some bizarre reason I’m the only male on it (no bad thing!). During the class we had to work in pairs and the allocation was random, as my female work partner walked over it occurred to me she wasn’t the best looking of women. Before we go on I want to say I don’t judge people by appearance, only the obvious cases like he’s a tramp and down on his luck etc. So she came over and sat next to me and the only prior chatter we’d had was a brief interchange of comments the week earlier. Within five minutes of working with her I was laughing and giggling and the actual college work seemed to fade as our repartee took over. Her personality really did shine forth and I was soon captivated by it, so much so I was very quickly finding her attractive. I think our joking and comments were bordering on flirting and I didn’t really want our task to end. Alas this woman is happily married and has kids and I don’t make a habit of getting involved in that type of thing, it’s just not me. On reflection after it made me realise that I’d pre-judged her as she'd walked over, she was a really warm and witty person and soon her personality had me looking beyond her looks and indeed quite fancying her. Of course nothing will come of it but the whole experience has made me think. I’m not one for old proverbs but ‘never judge a book by its cover’ is certainly very, very true.

No comments: