Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Lounge Lizard


The other Saturday I was in Nottingham with a pocket full of money (well it was just after pay day!) and I decided to peruse my favourite cd shop ‘Selectadisc’. I really didn’t have anything in mind to buy as I browsed waiting for something to jump out at me, as I meandered into the lower half of the store that houses less mainstream music types. I found myself in the bit that had ‘lounge’ music cd’s and started to thumb my way steadily through them. I’d heard various oddments of lounge stuff before and quite liked it so I thought I’d buy some. Not being an expert I chose a few general cd’s out of the many, there’s 50’s lounge, Asian lounge, Buddha lounge, jazz lounge, chill out lounge and the list goes on. I picked 3 different styles up but one last cd caught my eye, it was called nouvelle vague. This cd had lounge cover versions of late 70’s and early 80’s punk and alternative songs on it including the undertones ‘teenage kicks’ (a song that made john peel cry in joy when he heard it) and the dead kennedy’s ‘too drunk to fuck’. I love that early 80’s era so decided to get the cd and all I can say after listening to it is WOW. I’ve even noticed the BBC are using some excerpts from it between programmes etc. It really is unique and sounds great as husky female French singers sing lilting versions of 80’s classics to a bossa nova back beat, its cool, its lounge and I love it. Check the website out below and have a listen.

http://www.nouvellesvagues.com/

Nottinghams premier cd shop and worth a visit

http://www.selectadisc.co.uk/

1 comment:

pat said...

it's a good lp.
i enjoyed as much as i enjoyed the senor coconut cds.
but it is not a patch on the wonderful pat boone's in a metal mood. now that rocked.