Monday, February 28, 2005

Worth the licence fee

Praise be for BBC2. I don’t often watch tv these days in fact I sometimes wonder why I have a tv licence as I watch it so little but last night I tuned in to watch Time Commanders on BBC2 and ended up sticking with the channel all night, here’s why,

7.15pm Time Commanders

I love all that history stuff and usually tune in to watch the show, some weeks its mundane but this week was really good. Mike Noades returned to the show with his usual boundless vigour as an advisor to the contestants along side Aryeh Nusbacher (probably spelt wrong).

The show was interesting this week as history was rewrote, the contestants played William the conqueror at the Battle of Hastings and managed to lose!

No only do I like the show but I like Richard Hammond as a presenter and the expressions he pulls combined with sarcastic jibes aimed at the contestants.

8.00pm Ray Mears’ Bushcraft

What a guy Ray is! He can make something out of nothing, he’s interesting to listen to and the subject of outdoor survival is riveting stuff. I was glued to my tv as Ray got fires going from thin air, cooked palatable food from plants and animals and made a pretty deadly bow and arrow set using flint tools, glue from plants and animal sinew. Eat your heart out Blue Peter. The whole show makes you realise how much we take for granted.

9.00pm Never Mind the Buzzcocks

Always good for a laugh, Bill Bailey is growing on me and Mark Lamarr is as witty and well dressed as ever. With Bez and Tony Christie on the show I was in raptures. A music quiz that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

9.30pm Help

The new show from Paul Whitehouse with Chris Langham looks very promising. Whitehouse is a versatile as ever playing a whole cast of clients visiting the seemingly vexed psychotherapist Chris Langham. As I’m doing a Counselling at college myself I watched with relish and ready to criticise. Ok its not completely accurate to what counselling is about but Langham makes a convincing counsellor and the show seems to have a underlying message. I’ll watch this one with interest.

So, in closing, thanks Beeb 2 for top nights telly

No comments: