Friday, February 11, 2005

I'm not Keane

I’ve not watched the Brit awards fully in a couple of years now, mainly because I have been dis-illusioned with the music scene for a good while. This year however I decided to give it a go and I was quite happy with what I saw – to a point.

I choked on my tea at the beginning when Robbie took the award for ‘best british song’ over Kate Bush, Queen and Joy Division, I grudgingly admit I like Robbie but ‘Angels’ isn’t really an anthem song like queens ‘we are the champions’, not only that, they could have picked from hundreds of other songs and artists, Robbie takes the first award on default because of lack of competition. You’d have thought with Robbie having 15 gongs already they’d have chosen someone else?

I guess with awards like the Brits you have to get it into context that the whole thing is geared for recording labels and moguls to promote their precious artists. Who decides these categories anyway and the artists participating? What we saw last night was a collection of artists with very little material under their belts yet they are touted at being the next big thing already, even though in my eyes they are largely unproven. Allegedly the voters pick the winners, though they can only vote for who ever see's fit to put them in a category, oh to have the power!

I’m not saying I dislike the new acts though some do make me wince and squirm, take Keane for instance whilst collecting their award their faceless front man said ‘we are just a few guys from East Sussex blah blah’ – the Beatles were just four guys from Liverpool but they had something Keane don’t and that’s charisma. Franz Ferdinand look promising but it makes me piss when they call some of the others ‘rock acts’ when they are far from it.

At least acts like Robbie and Kylie are fading now, no bad thing really. Kylie can’t really hold a candle to Gwen Stefani for sheer performing talent, sure Kylie has a nice rear and does modelling and the odd bit of crap acting but Gwen has the raw talent and energy that a performer should have, her singing is better too! (and she had Japenese dancers!)

I was really pleased to see the Scissor Sisters clean up and bag loads of gongs, all rightly deserved, I narrowly missed seeing them last year supporting Duran Duran, shame really.
And why didn't the 5,6,7,8's get a mention as best new comer or international act?

It was also fab to see Siouxsie Sue there and also the babelicious Kelly Osbourne,

Kelly can I ask why you are not returning my calls ?

No comments: