Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Waterloo

I guess it’s a kind of Waterloo for me at the moment and to quote the Abba song ‘I feel like I win when I lose’.

The good news is that I now do not have to appear in court as a witness against the people that assaulted me last April. In all truth I didn’t want to be there but I would have gone, more so for justice than personal gratification or pride. Now the guy who would have faced me across the courtroom has pleaded guilty so I don’t have to be there. In some respects I feel a bit robbed of seeing justice being served. I'm surmising his brief advised him to plead guilty for a lesser sentence and he’s acted on that advice. If I had appeared in court I could have at least showed him I wasn’t scared, that I was making a stand against thugs like that. Of course another side of me wanted to let it all blow over so I could get on with my life, the whole situation feels like it hasn’t reached a definitive conclusion, sure he’s getting charged and now I don’t have to appear in court but the personal experience of a resolution isn’t there. A victory of sorts then and time to get on with life.

Next up and more relevant to the top bit is the situation at work at present. I’ve mentioned the current insurrection at work recently and the battle that has been raging with management. It seems most of the work force are now going to sign the new contract, in some respects I can’t blame them, they have to make a living. I’ve yet to sign, I’m still waiting for some more union clarification but in the end I may end up signing purely for realistic reasons. Its been a good run and the solidarity has been amazing but with the mass majority on other shifts signing the revolutionary atmosphere is washing away, like sandcastles to the ever encroaching tide. So, it all goes back to ‘I feel like I win when I lose’, that sums up my feelings right now, for a brief moment at work me and my colleagues were Che Guevarra, Don Quixote and Danton !

Having a cause made me feel good, I embraced it and even at some points let it engulf me. To end this blog I’d like to quote Danton;

‘We must dare, dare again and go on daring’

No comments: