Friday, February 10, 2012

Starbucks

In my town there's a whole panoply of coffee shops and tea rooms ranging from the more recognised branded names such as Starbucks and Costa to the 'old dear' type tea rooms. We also have a few privately owned select establishments, one called 'Stray's' springs immediately to mind. Living in a small town I feel quite spoilt that there's such a good selection to frequent. My place of choice though is Starbucks. Usually I veer away from corporate chains but my local Starbucks has several advantages in my opinion over it's rivals.

The first advantage is the location, it sits on the eastward side of the market place and has a great view of what's happening through its large windows which is great for people watching and observing daily goings on. It also seems to be in best position from lunchtime onwards to catch the sun and another bonus being it has ample outside seating.

Secondly, it's clean, tidy and the staff are friendly and attentive, they regularly seem to be bringing sample drinks around for you to try.

Thirdly, it has an hours free wi-fi available, always handy if I am in there with my ipad.

Lastly it has my favourite drink which is called 'Tazo chai tea latte' which is a very frothy cinnamon tasting drink that I find irresistible.

Starbucks it can be argued isn't the cheapest place to drink and this is true compared to my local pub where I can get a pot of tea or coffee with free refill for a measly £1, a large cup of Tazo chai in Starbucks is £3. So, with that said, I don't drink in Starbucks daily, the local being convenient and cheap and good for irrelevant chat and a read of the daily papers. Costa coffee isn't too far away and that in truth has a lovely more plush interior that others. Strays on Middle Gate has that continental feel, which Jazz music hanging casually in the background and reasonably priced decent food.

I guess Starbucks is the place where I feel I treat myself a little, I can indulge in watching passers by, surf the net and sip my favourite drink and if I don't want the more decadent drinks they do regular black coffee with a refill.

No comments: