Monday, September 05, 2011

Song Of The Month (Early)

Today looking at the internet there's a lot of coverage surrounding Freddie Mercury, this would have been his 65th year. Since childhood I have fond memories of Queen and their iconic frontman, probably the greatest showman of all time in my opinion and truly amazing vocalist - Freddie Mercury. I recall as a family in the 1970s when we'd all sit in Sunday night and listen to the charts on the radio, Queen was always a favourite amongst us all. I grew up with their music and never ever tired of it, unlike most bands Queen always adapted, always innovated and always could hold an audience. As Brian May put it in a one off Google blog today ' Freddie made the last person at the back of the furthest stand in a stadium feel that he was connected'.

I remember the amazing soundtracks they did for Flash and Highlander, the breathtaking performance at Live Aid and a continued release of one great album after another. The irony is you'll never get a band of this quality again. I'll always love Queen and Freddie Mercury's voice with a passion, I grew up listening to them, they are an part of who I am.

Thinking back to the time of his death, I'm sure it was announced in the Sunday papers he had aids, then that Monday I recall waking for work, going down stairs and finding my mum in tears watching the morning news - Freddie Mercury had died. We both shed a tear together, I'm not sure as a family ever got upset over a celebrity before but such was Freddie Mercury's appeal to the normal British public it's no surprise really that his passing affected so many world wide.

So here is my early 'Song Of The Month' dedicated to Freddie Mercury and all the memories.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies, Fairy tales of yesterday, will grow but never die,
I can fly, my friends! The show must go on !

No comments: