Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lady Hobbit In Waterstones

So there I was, walking up through Hockley headed for the centre of Nottingham. The sun cascading down and the cold air invigorating. It felt like I had come out of the dark christmas coma and all was well with the world. For a start I'd just eaten some pasta bake at the day centre and the codeine from the painkillers was kicking in giving me a comforting buzz. The morning has passed uneventfully apart from lots of banter, which is good considering the recent closure news at the day centre. They're a great bunch down there, real people and genuine personalities and today I definitely left with a spring in my step despite recent painful episodes with arthritic pain in my neck. Strolling up the hill I feel content, the sun was out, it was mild, I was day dreaming about all sorts of things such as getting around to writing the story I have head in my head for months.

I crossed the brow of the hill, checked my watch and realised I was a little early for the afternoon session in the Music Exchange. Knowing I had ten minutes to kill I headed for Waterstones to peruse some books. I go to the Science fiction/fantasy section and soak in some titles, all look interesting, then I head further into the back of the store and a collection of books by Mark Gatiss catch my eye, they're about an Edwardian detective called Lucifer Box, a bit of a character by the splurge summary on the back cover.

I pause, look up, and there she is, a Waterstones wonder! One of the female staff stands feet from me and it's a .... lady hobbit ! I get that rare almost forgotten stomach twinge and I stand there blinking like some stunned fool. She stands helping another customer, shoulder length blonde hair, spectacles, jeans and a Waterstones sweater. It most be obvious that I am looking over, even though I am pretending not to do so. I'm pretty sure I have a wistful look about me so I come to my senses and head up the escalator as a colleague at the day centre has told me there's a sale on the top floor. As I begin to ascend I turn for a last look and she looks back, I'm smiling a big smile inside but trying to look nonchalant about things, and probably failing dismally. Oh well, a good day just got better!

No comments: