Monday, May 24, 2010

Weddings

Weddings eh? They come, they go, a short window of revelry and sign of commitment and love. Have I ever come close to being married? The simple answer is no, not really. Would I ever get married? Well maybe but it would be a low key affair, a few close friends and probably a secular humanist partnership ceremony at that, no church for me thanks.

During my life I've been to weddings aplenty, even my own parents, though I hadn't yet popped out to introduce myself to the wide world. I know people that got married early and are now divorced. Someone I know recently got married, a whirlwind affair seemingly that left me wondering. I have to confess to being cynical when it comes to marriage, I saw my parents marriage crumble over a few years and it wasn't pretty. My dad got married again and divorced again and vows never to marry again.

I consider my friends Dave and Gary as probably my two closest friends, Dave has been married twice, both whirlwind romances, I didn't go to either wedding because of my personal view (something that's never sat right between us since). Gary married in Hong Kong, I muse to if it has tamed him or just made him more determined to party hard when away from the Mrs, the lines are fudged really.

Weddings to me are self indulgent affairs, a show of vanity, a stroking of ego's - a day in the limelight and that is pretty much it. I've never been able to get excited about weddings on any level really, which is why I tend to avoid them if possible.

That said I could never be so sure as to rule it out forever but I think the chance of me living with someone is more likely, that said I can be a solitary creature, though for the right person I'm sure I'd work at it. A friend put weddings on the same par with funerals yesterday, and reflecting back I can't remember a wedding I actually enjoyed. Oh come to think of it I did like the wedding of Ming the Merciless and Dale Arden in the movie 'Flash' : -

"Do you Ming the Merciless, ruler of the universe take this Earthling Dale Arden to be your Empress of the hour? "

"Of the hour, yes"

"Do you promise to use her, and not to blast her into space until you grow weary of her?"

"I do"

Class !!!

And now some readers will think I am a miserable git, oh well. I should add, anyone happily married, getting married etc should treat this just as a personal opinion, not a sweeping statement!

No comments: