Saturday, July 19, 2008

Seven Days East of Forty (1. Music)

Well here I am seemingly seven days east of being forty years old, heading westwards till the sun sets on the fateful day (Oh I’m so dramatic at times!)

This week I’m going to try and blog everyday in a series of reflections back over the last decade, my thirties.

So today I’m going to kick off with an ongoing passion of mine which is music. Over the last decade I’ve seen my cd collection grow and grow, and in the last few years the amount of music I’ve downloaded has become phenomenal. I guess with the advent of accessible music online and mp3 players I’ve never listened to as much music as I have over the last few years. I’d say music is a big part of my life and as I’ve got older my musical tastes have broadened a hell of a lot though I’ve still remained nostalgic for some of the stuff I liked as a youngster.

I love it when you are out and about and hear a song and it grips you straight away, two recent artists come to mind, a while back I was in Nottinghams ‘Fopp store’ and I heard an amazing track, on asking who it was I discovered it was a track from the latest Rush album, I bought it there and then. Earlier this year I was in Camden, London whilst perusing the wares of Cyberdog (a goth clothing shop) an absolutely hypnotic track came on, I was hooked immediately, it turned out to be a band called Infected Mushroom, again I had to get some of their stuff as soon as possible.

I’m always going to have my favourites but there’s nothing better than discovering new bands or sounds and over the last decade I’ve discovered a huge amount, and hopefully there’ll be plenty more to discover ahead! I can’t imagine life without music and the lift it always gives me.
And in closing, isn't it amazing how music always reminds you of people, places or events of the past?

No comments: