Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Sympathy card

After my college night class I was munching on a sandwich and channel hopping whilst deciding on having a peek at just how bad ‘Celebrity Island’ was bombing on ITV. It seemed the celeb’s were lounging in the sun and drinking copious amounts of vino destructo and Paul Danan was pretty shit faced on it and turning into a very sad sight as he began arguing with the others. Soon after he was told to cool it and sort himself out he said ‘You’re only picking on me because I’m small’.

Now statements like this really piss me off, probably because I’m vertically challenged myself and don’t like to hear all that self pity crap. Psychologists call little guys getting aggressive the ‘Napoleon syndrome’, the media have termed it in less flattering terminology but the thing is (and I can’t deny it) that it does exist … especially after a few beers. I guess as we are all shapes and sizes there is always somebody bigger or smaller than ourselves. If we floor someone bigger than ourselves we are heroes, if they floor us they are villains and bullies. It’s amazing how we all use our physical features to either promote or demote ourselves when the situation arises; either to generate sympathy, compliments or make lame excuses, the list goes on.

The thing is you very rarely hear actual disabled people moan about their genuine disabilities and restrictions, they strive to be accepted and work very hard and don’t play the sympathy card so readily as us able bodied clowns do, maybe we should consider that next time we moan about our less flattering attributes.

1 comment:

ems said...

Absolutely true! There are disabled children at my school against whom the odds are stacked and who are truly amazing.

Small kids do suffer though - patted on the head, treated as cute, patronised.

My absolute darling (I'd adopt him if he didn't live with his dad) has a mouth like a sewer when running the corridors but generally because everyone seems to have the idea they have the right to touch him as he is smaller than most.