Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Blogging: A Cautionary Tale

I was reading on the BBC News website this morning that a group of MPs are trying to get reforms passed against so called cyber stalking, and possibly make it more of a criminal offence. Personally I am skeptical how they will define stalking when there is so much seemingly about all of us out there in cyberspace these days, my blog being an example and Facebook etc. Yet this said, I feel due to recent events I have actually been monitored for a purpose to a certain degree. I can't accuse the person of stalking as this blog is open to all but without doubt its definately been kept tabs on.

On the 22nd of this month I had to go to court locally for a car accident I was involved in May of last year. The case being basically who was responsible for the collision, his claim differed to mine of course, and after some months we'd arrived at court. On arriving at court and meeting my barrister we perused the evidence that had been set out against me. In that evidence was a printed copy of a blog I did last year briefly regarding said accident. I really felt quite surprised my opponent had gone to lengths to trace me on the internet and keep regular watch on my blog and indeed use the blog in which I mention the accident against me. In some respects it wasn't a total shock, I do have regular readers and of course randoms ones but I know where people are viewing from because I have tracker software integrated into the blog, so when someone keeps popping up, like my opponent did from the same part of the country then a pattern builds.

The evidence in my blog was used against me with little effect, sure I had mentioned the accident but the blog related to a programme I'd watched involving karma etc. His barrister of course used selective tracts of that blog from last May against me. I always knew from websites, chat rooms, chat programs etc how typed words could be misconstrued, have double meanings and lose a lot of effect as there is no tone or voice or body language, hence misreading of intentions can occur. Not that I had anything to worry about in court, my personal typed musings were not considered as evidence and as my most excellent barrister pointed out, there was no admission of guilt or liability anyway and no mention from his barrister my line where I state I felt my driving had improved.

The whole episode though has left me wary of the content I may put in future blogs. I've always blogged openly and honestly about feelings, and to have my own personal blog used against me in court has been an eye opener to say the least. The fact someone would stoop so low to attempt to use my own words against me after blogging all these years saddens me. On a positive note the case was dismissed against me, he lacked conviction, tried to use furtive and innacurate means via my blog and had the most repetitive barrister. All the judge rightly wanted to know was who had hit who and who had seen it. My evidence rested on a witness who had seen the car clearly reverse into me on the day. He seemed to be a reluctant witness but his statement proved my recollection of events from the day, confirming as I has said the car had reversed into me and whoever he is he felt it right to come to court that day and say what he'd seen. There's nothing more to say on the matter really, the case against me was duly dismissed by the judge.

I'm not sure how the above incident will affect future blogs, I'd like to think I will go on blogging openly and keep The Hobbit's Journal public domain for all to read because it's something I really want to carry on with after all these years, it has always been a therapy of sorts, creative and basically I just love writing when the mood takes me.

This is however a cautionary tale, as the title states and I have already taken steps to improve security of the blog and install off site software that gives me info on web traffic. I'll go on blogging but this whole episode has made me more aware for the future, how accessible things can be on the internet and who is looking in.

And lastly I want you to all keep reading because I'm not going to give me little space on the internet up anytime soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad all went well for you... though shocking at the lengths some folks will go to, to try get others into trouble