Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Quake !!!

Last night around 1am I was lay in bed playing on my Sony Psp as I felt restless, then the earth moved! No, my Psp doesn't have some virtual reality rumble device fitted, it was something more serious than that, it was Britains biggest earthquake in 25 years!

At first I thought it was the neighbour in the flat above starting some kind of massive machine up but then as the whole building shook I just lay there stunned. It lasted about 8 or 9 seconds in total with probably two rumbling bursts of 5 and 4 seconds respectively. It really was very surreal and scary, mainly because I had no idea what it was.

The epicentre was very near here, just over the border in Lincolnshire at Market Rasen. Gainsborough was hit pretty bad and has sustained a fair bit of damage, Newark has only cosmetic damage really. Below is a photo I took earlier today of a fallen chimney stack not too far from where I live, the car windscreen is cracked and there's other damage on the car too, hope they were insured!


2 comments:

MissMinxtress said...

!!!
I'd actually forgotten, mainly cos I thought I may have imagined it.
But I too felt by sofa shake at 1am. And the cat looked confused.
Figured it must be a quake but no mention of it today.
Which is especially surprising as it's the biggest in 25 years.
Just a shame I didn't get the chance to use the phrase "Did the earth move for you too dear"!

Mysti said...

Glad you are well and didn't sustain any damages. There have been a few earthquakes here in Colorado in the last few months (a 6.2 a few weeks ago); seems more than usual. Yellowstone National Park (right above us in Wyoming) is THE largest active volcano in the world. They say in the next 10,000 years or so, it will blow and destroy half of the US, but i'm wondering if their guestimation isn't just that.. a GUESS. Scary!