Thursday, August 10, 2006

Semi Enjoyable


Well it’s almost the final curtain for Big Brother as we are in the penultimate week. What are my feelings on this series? In all honesty I don’t think it’s been the best, a little too predictable at times and more than a hint of controversy.

But what am I saying? Controversy is what makes good tv and it’s also what gets Big Brother ratings. For example several hundred people complained about the four evicted housemates being repatriated to the house claiming why waste money on texts voting them out only for Big Brother to want the public to vote some back in? Yet despite this over 5.3 million watched them return to the house with over £250,000 being donated to charity from the repatriation text vote. I guess the people that do spend money on text votes don’t realise how much they are drawn in because sometimes I’m inclined to think the results though being predictable can be a little dubious.

Despite this year’s Big Brother getting off to a slow start and having some truly characterless housemates I don’t think it’s been all bad to be fair. My only gripe is that this year’s housemates have been split between the mundane to the magical.

Pete and Glyn have made the show but have also made it into a two horse race with only the elfin Nikki even coming close to third. As the weeks have passed by I’ve predicted almost every eviction correctly.

On the plus side there have been some class moments of tv, some hilarious comedy and yes some moments when I’ve had a lump in the throat, Big Brother can always seem to evoke an emotion from me be it anger, laughter or the odd tear. The thing I like about Big Brother is that it often dares to challenge and that’s what makes it exciting television at times. It takes risks that nearly always pay off, there’s been times I’ve thought ‘this won’t work’ only to be proved wrong with twists and consequences that add up to make a programme that’s probably destined to become an institution whether some people like it or not (it probably already is).

At the end of the day you can’t really fault people for wanting to be ‘somebody’ and Big Brother at least provides that forum. Most of course come to very little after their brief stint of ‘semi-fame’ but some do and that can’t be a bad thing, everyone after all deserves a chance.

I know a lot don’t like the show and I respect that, there’s a lot of elements I do like about the show too, how the house mates are seemingly chosen than randomly selected among others but when a programme brings me laughter and entertains I do tend not to worry about the inner workings of it.

So, not the best series but not the worst, some contrived bits mingled with some moments of pure comicality and lastly of course that nice essence of the ‘human behaviour’ thrown in.

Lastly is it me or does housemate Sam look like an extra from Wallace and Grommit with that smile and Spiral looks like Finbarr Saunders from the Viz comic? (Sam and Wallace below with that smile!!)

In closing my prediction is Pete to win (was it in any doubt?), maybe Glynn oh and yes, Nikki is a babe!

No comments: