Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Camden, the retail re-match

London, I love it, especially Camden which really does rock my world. Last time I was in London was for an interview and I didn’t really get much time to do anything, apart from shoot to Camden on the tube and buy a rather spiffy pair of New Rock shoes.

Last Friday I returned to London for the day, with some serious retail therapy in Camden firmly in mind. My friend and I arrived in Kings Cross station just before 10am and as my friend hadn’t been to London in years I decided to take them along to Oxford Circus as I’d planned to pop into HMV there and buy some cd’s. Six Cd’s later and we strolled down Wardour street and had a coffee in Starbucks before heading off onto Berwick street in Soho (another cd bought) and then onto China town which was being dug up and re-paved, so a bit chaotic. We then pressed on down into Leicester Square and mooched around there for a while before heading back along Shaftsbury Avenue where I saw this dinky little vehicle that must be used for deliveries of some sort – I want one!

I did want to drop into the Reform Club on Pall Mall to renew my membership as it is nearly up but alas time was swiftly ebbing away. We rejoined the tube up to Camden as I wanted to get some serious shopping done. During quick look around Inverness Street market we decided it was time for a swift libation so popped into the Good Mixer for a beer before heading over the Camden lock bridge.

Next up was the Camden and very bohemian Stables markets, there’s just so much to see there in a small space, it’s amazing. The market traders are friendly and you can even haggle over prices, I managed to get £2.50 discount off a suede belt. We grabbed a delicious take away curry in the Stables market, a quick and very filling bargain for £4 and rested our weary feet. Then we headed into Cyberdog which has to be my favourite shop in Camden, metal plated floorboards, dark decadent décor and loud gothic / industrial music, there are so many really cool clothes to choose from. Purchasing a couple of really fantastic t-shirts and a tie for £110 I decided to beat a hasty retreat before I inflicted anymore damage on my wallet. We browsed around a little longer but our time was almost up and we had to head back for the train – it was all over so quickly, a return visit I think!!!

Camden Lock

For more about Camden click here

3 comments:

pat said...

for all your guff - you want to be in london....

oddly i also saw that car on friday, only i saw it berkley square.
even i would be tempted to learn to drive to have one of those.

Shep said...

Do you know, I was just right there at that picture - Camden Lock - on Monday at 5.30!

ems said...

'A man could lose himself in London' but it is a small place after all!