Sunday, June 25, 2006

Monsters Are Waiting

The Monsters Are Waiting, an unorthodox name perhaps but its as unique as the sound of the band. I first discovered them from the Suicidegirls website as one of their songs ‘Monsters’ accompanies a video sequence and immediately fell in love with it. Then came the task of researching them and finding out a little bit more. I previewed some of their other songs and realised I was totally into their sound.

What is their sound though? Well it’s a sort of retro, alternative one with subtle twists and catchy riffs, oh and the vocalist Annalee Fery has a voice to die for! There’s an inner strength to their sound but not an overbearing one, it interweaves with the clever melodies of their songs and begins to captivate.

So came the wait for their debut album, released on 06.06.06 and called ‘Fascination’ which incidentally is the title of the opening track, a gem of a track too. I had to wait a couple of weeks to import the cd from the States but it’s been worth it. I used Amazon and one of their sellers called ‘Caiman’ that are a large outfit based in Florida.

Monsters are Waiting very much remind me of an 80’s band called The Passions, both vocally and instrumentally. My fave track of the album has to be ‘Monsters’ which is a ‘swing yer pants’ kind of track, its infectious, a lovely melody and great vocals, Monsters is probably the best track I’ve heard all year so far.

Go check them out at their website below where you can see their video 'Fascination' and check out some of their songs.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I really like their sound, too. We have a huge music/film festival where I live every Spring - South by Southwest (SXSW). I heard the Delgados play at the all-Scottish band set one night at the festival a few years ago. Monsters are Waiting evokes the same feeling when I listen to them. Smooth, indie music.