Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Odious Odeon

It comes as no surprise to me really that more and more people are viewing pirate dvd’s or downloading films over the internet – a trip to the cinema is becoming increasingly expensive and terrible value for money. Take my experience on Sunday night for example, I went to watch V for Vendetta at my local Odeon cinema with my old workmate that does the Tree of woe blog.

We headed to KFC first to grab some fast food and were passed at the doorway by some vociferous chav’s shouting expletives at each other. I noticed their table had a bargain bucket and it’s left over food contents strewn all over it and ironically the litter bin was a mere arm’s reach away – ah the youth of today.

Anyway, after some fast food we headed to the cinema and browsed the refreshment area, the prices are just extortionate yet they know people will of course pay. As I’d booked over the net we collected our tickets from the automatic dispensing machine and headed to our screen, only the luxury seats are no longer luxury anymore – they are pseudo luxury ones. That’s right, odious Odeon have taken the real comfy ones out and replaced them with lack lustre replicas and now charge even more! The seats even had pieces of paper on them telling you that they were in fact luxury ones so you didn't get mixed up with the normal ones!

The movie was excellent albeit uncomfortable on the crappy new chairs that really stretch the meaning of the word ‘luxury’. There’s nothing like seeing a film on the big screen but is strikes me that less people visit the cinema nowadays, probably because its easy to get copies or download but also because the whole experience is more expensive and less enjoyable than it once was.

2 comments:

pat said...

i remember going to the new spunky refurbed odeon leceister square. plonking my arse down and suddenly thinking i am not gettig out of this as it is too small.

my local is the only place i go now. £18 a month as many movies as i can see. true the local(ish) ugc does it for £12 a month - but that is not at the top of my road.

ems said...

I like the cinema just not the other people who choose to go...